Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sleep

My child is a good sleeper. I'm not saying that to be all braggy braggy but to preface this post. Hunter sleeps through the night and has been consistently for a while now. Sure he may wake up once and need to be tucked back in but it's rare. My biggest complaint is that he typically wakes up between 6-6:30am which basically sucks on the weekend.

So why am I writing about sleep? Well, because despite the fact that my child sleeps through the night I do not. From basically the moment I got pregnant I haven't been able to sleep well. During pregnancy it was due to needing multiple bathroom trips and not being comfortable. Then of course came many, many months of being woken up multiple times by my crying child. But now? Now I just can't for the life of me sleep well.

I usually go to bed around 10pm and wake up at 6am (during the week). So I should be getting 8 solid hours of sleep. When you add up all the time I'm actually asleep for I would say I get maybe 4-5 hours if I'm lucky. I have no trouble falling asleep but inevitably I wake up or am woken up by something/someone a couple hours later, which then results in tossing and turning for several hours before finally falling back to sleep about an hour or so before my alarm goes off.

I seem to almost always be awake from around 1-3am. I hate the hours of 1-3am. And when I say awake I mean I feel like I could get up and clean the whole house or run a marathon. I'm WIDE awake. It doesn't help that since becoming a mother I've become the lightest sleeper on the planet. Every little noise seems to either wake me up or keep me awake. I even use a noise machine to help drown out other sounds but it doesn't help much. So the fact that my husband has a tendency to snore, our cat is like a vampire that sleeps all day and wanders the house all night AND that we have a wiggly little dachshund sharing our bed does not help matters. It seems there is always something or someone preventing me from getting sleep.

I guess one perk is that the thought of having another baby and going through the newborn up all night phase doesn't really scare me since I only sleep in 2-3 hour increments on my own as it is. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I've tried Benedryl which is hit or miss. Sometimes it will knock me out but other times it has the opposite effect and keeps me awake. And I don't really want to take Benedryl or NyQuil every night to sleep. I don't want to drink tea or even wine before bed because then I will be up all night peeing (I have the smallest bladder ever which also doesn't help).

So if anyone has any suggestions for helping me sleep, that would be great. Some people have recommended taking Melatonin and it's something I plan to look into. We've tried fixing Kristian's snoring with Breathe Right Nose strips, but those are also hit or miss.

Does anyone else have this problem? My crankiness is hitting an all time high and neither my husband or I are really happy about the situation.

9 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

OMG i could have written this post! FOR YEARS i suffered from awful sleep and like you, i slept *maybe* 4-5 hours but those were 4-5 hours of broken sleep. it sucked and for real, i looked like something that crawled out of a crypt every morning.

now, i sleep like the dead. for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE, i pass out within minutes and wake up 7hrs later refreshed. if i wake up at night to pee, i wake up and then pass right out again.

what changed: my lifestyle - i cleaned up my diet and started exercising every day.

that's it.

seriously, it's amazing how something so natural like eating right and daily exercise can turn your sleep around.

good luck. let me know if you have any more questions.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Amanda said...

I did this for about 3 years and it's come back to haunt me now that I am pregnant. Not eating for two hours before bed time helped me a lot, I also took Melatonin and that stuff is a miracle! It doesn't make you feel groggy the next day like sleeping pills.

Sleeping with a fan on also helps drown out other noises and a white noise machine is helpful too.

Hope this helps a little!

Robbie said...

I used to sleep like you, and then I got blackout curtains. My room is now like a tomb, and I have noticed I really need it to be pitch black when I sleep now. I have used Melatonin before- I love it. If you go the sleeping pill route, try lunesta instead of ambien. Lunesta makes you sleep but doesn't make you do the psycho things that Ambien does :)

Shannon said...

I could have written this post. Well except for the fact that I am 39.5 weeks pregnant, so I have excuses to be up at night. So, although I can't offer advise, I can commiserate with you.

KatiePerk said...

I have heard of good success with Melatonin. Also lower temperatures is supposed to help. I HATE SNORING, Perks snoring definitely wakes me up now post baby.

Stephanie said...

I'm right there with ya! Besides having a new baby in our room who wants to eat every few hours during the night, my biggest problem is JJ's snoring. I can't stand repetitive noise, I just fixate on it. So once he starts snoring, that's all I hear and I tap him to roll over. If it doesn't work, I usually end up on the couch (since we don't have a guestroom anymore) and usually there I can sleep better. Wish I had better advice than to go sleep in another room. :(

HickChickBritt said...

I sleep with ear plugs in. I always say Hayes has slept through the night every night since he was 6 months but really i have no clue i sleep with ear plugs and no baby monitor. Chris would wake up if Hayes was really screaming... mother of the year right here! Haha

HickChickBritt said...

I sleep with ear plugs in. I always say Hayes has slept through the night every night since he was 6 months but really i have no clue i sleep with ear plugs and no baby monitor. Chris would wake up if Hayes was really screaming... mother of the year right here! Haha

Fiona said...

Ugg sorry you are dealing with this. I wish I had advice, but sadly, I have none. Sounds like the melatonin might be a good path to try as others have mentioned. Good luck and hope you get some sleep soon!!