Monday, October 12, 2009

Lazy Weekend and Honeymoon stress

My weekend consisted of LOTS of football watching and switching between laying in bed, laying on the couch and laying in the massage chair. I also ate a lot and slept a lot. Yesterday morning I got up and made a kick ass ham and cheese quiche followed up with strawberry/banana smoothies using the new smoothie maker my mom bought us and then I made some equally kick ass baked ziti for dinner. Not sure why, but I was feeling all domestic yesterday, despite my foul mood and overwhelming feeling of laziness.

Why was I in a bad mood? Well I almost had a mental breakdown on Saturday while trying to figure out possible honeymoon plans with K, my mom and older brother. First we took K out to lunch for an early birthday celebration where I stuffed my face with BBQ. Then we came home and went through my mom's timeshare information to try to figure out where we could go for the honeymoon. Using her timeshare would save us money on the lodging price though we would still have to pay for our plane tickets and of course food/drinks or the all-inclusive fee if given the option.

The sales lady gave us two options both in the Dominican Republic and expected us to decide within about 30 seconds where we wanted to go, now mind you we would still have to shell out at least $1-2K of our own money so needless to say this wasn't a decision that could be made right away. My mom is pushing us to make a decision, my brother keeps shouting out "Go to Tahiti", "What about Greece?", "You should go to the French Riviera" and Kristian and I stared at each other bewildered. Finally we both said that we couldn't make a decision right then and we needed to do some research.

Frankly the issue is if we can even afford a honeymoon at all. We are paying for the wedding ourselves and the idea of shelling out another couple thousand dollars for a honeymoon quite honestly makes me want to have a panic attack. I would love nothing more than to fly off to some tropical paradise for a week after the wedding but I don't think it's financially possible at the moment. We just can't commit to anything right now and with all the stress of trying to plan and pay for the wedding I personally can't handle dealing with the honeymoon.

So I told Kristian and my brother that it's in their hands. My brother actually enjoys planning trips and Kristian knows what kind of budget we are dealing with so if the two of them can find something affordable then great but I don't want to be a part of the planning process. I just don't have it in me. I'm overwhelmed at the moment and this process just isn't fun at the moment. To be honest if we have to wait a year and take our honeymoon later on I'm fine with that. I would also be happy locking ourselves in the condo for a week and just hanging out with the cats. That idea actually sounds heavenly right about now.

10 comments:

bananas. said...

you have to go on honeymoon! after all the stress of wedding planning, you so deserve it. if not right after the wedding, at least within your first year.

my friend did this honeymoon registry thing for her wedding so that guests could purchase things specifically for the honeymoon. for example: snorkling trips or dinners. that would save you a ton of money.

Unknown said...

Speaking from experience, you NEED this honeymoon. Even if it is a week off in your condo with the cats. You will need the break and need time to just settle and decompress.

Is there anywhere you can cut back so that you can afford the honeymoon? Hence, what we did.

I'm sorry you're stressed.

Elizabeth Marie said...

Oh lovebug, so sorry to hear you're stressed. I basically second Banana and Klaw...you NEED a honeymoon, whatever it may be. Maybe lock yourselves in with the kitties and plan a more extravagant trip in the next year or 2?

Sorry I'm not more help...but I love love love you!!! And all the food you made sounds delish... :)

Annie said...

ugh, that sounds stressful :( sorry to hear hun. i know that my fiance and i can totally relate. we dont even have any wedding plans yet because we know we are paying for everything and therefore have no idea what we want to do.
i hope you and K can figure out a honeymoon, even if it's just a little getaway or locking yourselves up ;) best of luck hun!

Alicia said...

oh man...no wonder you're stressed! well i never had a 'normal' wedding or honeymoon, but when we finally did go on one it was AMAZING! i hope that you guys are able to go on one to somewhere fabulous...you're gonna need it after all this wedding craziness! i hope you're having a good day!! :)

Ela said...

Aw honey, I know it's not fun. I'm sorry for all the stress. If it makes you feel any better, S and I went on our honeymoon 2 years after our wedding...same deal - no cash - well, we wanted a house more and big down payment so once we moved in, we went on our honeymoon the next summer. It was just as fun (I guess I don't know otherwise) as if we went right after. As long as you get to be together, it'll be great - wherever you are :) Hope you have a great rest of the week!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Don't get stressed! Even if you go to somewhere close, you have to take a honeymoon! I don't know how you would feel about it, but I went to a bridal show and they were talking about the newest thing of Honeymoon Registering. Apparently guests can donate to the honeymoon in lieu of a gift. Depending on how important the trip is to you, you may want to check out something like that!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

We went to the DR for our honeymoon. Let me know if you have any questions. : )

rachaelgking said...

The DR was grand when I went... but if you're looking for something a little more adventurous, Delta has cheap flights to Costa Rica right now. As does intratours.com... we're heading there in three weeks! :-)

Abbie said...

We are just now going on our honeymoon when we got married in July. We paid for our wedding ourselves and weren't even willing to think about a honeymoon until afterward and ended up booking it about a month after. Our thought process was that if we didn't do it soon, then we'd never take one... and we wanted the memories. My parents still regret not going on one. We did have panic attacks and after about a week of hemming and hawing, we finally booked it. So, maybe you should wait until after the wedding and then book it. But... you should go. Even if it's a shorter trip.