Friday, November 13, 2009

Office Space

Since graduating college I’ve had three different jobs, all in the same field. At each job I held essentially the same title and had basically the same duties and responsibilities. Another similarity all the jobs have shared is that I’ve been stuck in a windowless cubicle at each. At the first two jobs I worked in fairly enclosed cubicles with 3 walls and a decent level of privacy. At my current job I work between two of my colleagues in an open U-shaped desk with a hutch on one side, creating a pseudo wall and a half partition on the other side giving me very limited privacy. I’m one of those people that hates when others are looking over my shoulder or listening on my phone calls so this setup is not ideal.

Fortunately come the New Year this will all change and I will be getting an actual office! An office that has four walls, a door and even a floor to ceiling window!! No, I’m not getting a raise or promotion however my company IS moving to another office building. We are upgrading from working in a tiny industrial park to an actual multi level building with a lobby, elevators, two delis and even a gym! We are also attached to a Hilton so if we ever get snowed in we can just go next door and get a room.

Because of the way the space we are leasing is configured everyone (all 6 of us) will have our own office. I’m so excited, finally a decent amount of space to spread out in, decorate, have privacy and more importantly a window to look out of. Currently I never know what the hell the weather is doing or if it’s even light or dark outside without getting up from my desk. It’s a tad depressing. I’m also super excited to have a gym right in our building, I’ve already cancelled my current gym membership which I was barely using anyway.

The only downside is that this will add on an additional 10-15 minutes to my already 45-60 minute commute. But I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons in this case. So right now we are in the process of picking out carpeting and paint and figuring out how we want to lay everything out which is exciting. Now that I’m getting ready to turn 30 I think it’s time I had a real office!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That'll be really nice. And you are NOT getting ready to turn 30. I AM! You have 6 months. Totally different thing.

Summer Athena said...

Carpeting and paint! FUN! I wish we had a real office. :(

XO

bananas. said...

WHAT?! so exciting. you don't know how often i complain of privacy in my little cubicle. people are always ear hustling and peeking over my shouler or even reading my emails. ugh! so you are so lucky. and a window?! ah i'd kill for one.

congrats hun and well deserved :)

Alicia said...

ohhhh so exciting!! i have to admit i did love my cubicle back in the day! but a window?! that's exciting! i can't wait to hear all about the glorious office!

Elizabeth Marie said...

Ohhhh NICE!!!! Once you go office, you'll never go back to cubicle hahaha you will become a snob.

Shutting the door is THE BEST FEELING!!!!!

Llama said...

NICE! Yes the pros def. out weigh the cons! Congrats on the soon-to-be-office-space!:)

princessapr said...

AWESOME! I do really like being next to a window, but I'm jealous of your door and walls! I'd rather a window than a door and walls, but to have both will be divine for you! *sniff* This is your first job without me as a cube neighbor though. I thought of how through different offices and space, until recently, I've always sat next to you somehow.

Annie said...

that is awesome! i am totally jealous!!
you will be able to blog all day uninterupted ;)
i've lived in a cube for 7 years now...at least the office across from me is emtpy so i can have that door open and see outside.

hope you have a great weekend hun!

.:*aMbAr*:. said...

Awwww that's nice!!!!

I also hate when others are paying attention to what I'm doing instead of their job.

Ela said...

I used to hate people walking by and seeing what was on my screen and hearing my phone calls. Nothing like privacy. And that window, woop, woop!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Having your own space is most definitely preferable. I get it! Congrats!