Monday, March 4, 2013

It's a small blog world after all

One of the things I love most about blogging are the people I've connected with and the friends I've made over the past few years. One of the things I hate most about blogging is the fact that 99% of my blog friends live far away and I will probably never get to meet them in person. Which is why I get super excited when I connect with someone who actually lives within driving distance.

Whenever someone new comments on my blog I always try to take a peek at their profile and/or blog if they have one. If it turns out that they live in the DC metro area I get especially excited and will typically start following them or even reach out with an email or comment. A few weeks back I got a comment from someone new (Hi Sara!) and after looking at her profile and seeing she also lives in Northern VA I emailed her.

We emailed back and forth and with each correspondence we discovered we had more and more in common. As it turns out she ALSO went to ECU like I did. Then I found out that not only did she attend ECU but was ALSO in the same sorority as me at the same time! Now, you're probably wondering how I didn't recognize one of my sorority sisters right away right? Well she is two years younger than me and pledge during spring semester of my senior year. By that point I was really only attending the meetings and functions that I was required to attend. I was more focused on my impending graduation and spending time with my boyfriend at the time and the friends I had already made through the sorority. I never really got to know those new girls. Now once I found out what her maiden name was and looked her up on Facebook I did remember her. We also discovered that we both went to St. Lucia on our honeymoons and had the same wedding song! Oh and she's due with a baby girl this May and could quite possibly have her on my birthday. Talk about coincidences!

Since she lives close to where I work we decided to meet up last week for lunch at a restaurant that we both loved while at ECU. Since I had already technically met her 11 years ago in college and she's a sorority sister I wasn't nearly as nervous as I would have been had she been a complete stranger. We had a very nice time catching up and talking about pregnancy and babies. Though I may have scared her with my birth story (sorry about that!) We also discussed getting together again in the future for lunch and hopefully for playdates once her little one arrives.

One of my complaints lately has been that I don't have a lot of local mommy friends so I'm very excited to not only have a new mommy friend in the area but one that is a sorority sister as well. If it weren't for this little 'ol blog who knows if we would have ever reconnected. Isn't the Internet a great place?

10 comments:

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I'm so glad you were able to connect with someone through your blog! Some of my closest friends right now are from a group that we created after meeting through blogging/twitter. Blogging can be a great thing!

Amanda said...

It's always fun to find bloggers in your area and ones that you share so many things in common with.

I also met my husband online and love reading blogs about other couples who met this way, which attracted me to you :)

Hope you have a great week!

Heather said...

That's awesome! It's great to connect or reconnect with people you have a lot in common with.

Venassa said...

Wow that's too weird! Good for you!

Brittany said...

How exciting!! It is always fun to meet people from blogland :)

Stephanie said...

How fun! I love blog meet ups and wish I could do more!

princessapr said...

Nice! I kind of like having non-Mommy friends because then I can go out and do non-Mommy things. I have a couple of friends/relatives with kids but gender and age make it tricky to do play dates. I am trying to set one up and we'll see how mommy entertaining goes. I know Laura loves it and she really doesn't get enough of them.

I've met scores of people off the internet as part of my book reading and it's always gone well. I find it harder to find people who read the same thing I do versus having a kid. Still, I do feel like it would be nice for Laura to be more social with other kids. Stupid mommy guilt.

Sean Marie said...

Sweet! That's awesome! :)

Fiona said...

Oh that is awesome! So glad you found her and wow, so much in common.. how neat. I wish I had more... okay ANY bloggy friends close by to me. I would love to meet everyone someday!!

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

That's so funny! Small world is right! Glad you've found a new (old) friend!