Friday, February 27, 2009

The Hunt Begins

This weekend I'm going to start checking out possible wedding venues. I figure even though Kristian is out of town I can get a jump start and if I like the places I can bring him back to check them out. First up on the to-do list is to find a church. Since neither Kristian nor I currently belong to a church we have to find one that is willing to let non members marry there. Kristian was raised Catholic but he no longer goes to Catholic church and has some issues with a lot of their teachings. I consider myself non-denominational but I was baptized Methodist so I've been looking at mostly Methodist churches and some Presbyterian ones as well. Christian wedding ceremony's are basically the same regardless of the actual denomination.

My goal is to go to two of the churches on my list on Sunday morning. I plan to hit up the 8:30am service for one and the 11:15am service for the other. My grandmother would be so proud! Of course come Sunday morning when I'm lying in my nice warm bed I may opt out of the 8:30am one this week. We'll see.

I will be checking out Oakton Methodist Church http://www.oaktonumc.org/ which I've passed a million times and always wondered how it looked on the inside. A vendor of mine just went to a wedding there and said it was really cute and the pastor did a good job.

The second one is Falls Church Presbyterian Church http://www.fallschurchpresby.org/ from what I can tell it looks like a beautiful old stone church which is right up my alley. For our wedding I would prefer a church that actually looks like a church.

I'm hoping that whatever church we end up with we will be able to start going to on a regular basis. I think it would be more meaningful to get married someplace that we are familiar with rather then some random building we've only been in a few times.

Then Sunday night I'm going to an open house at Top of the Town with my mother and one of my bridesmaids. I believe that they are having one of their caterers coming in for this. This is one of my top choices for a reception site even though I know it's pretty pricey. I can't wait to see what it looks like in person.

My goal is to have a church and reception site picked out by the end of March so the next few weekends will probably be pretty busy.

No comments: