Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A glimpse into my future

This past Saturday night Kristian and I babysat our nieces and nephew while his sister attended a black tie work event in DC. Our oldest niece is 14 and we have a twin niece and nephew who are 12. They are old enough to stay home alone for a few hours however my sister-in-law doesn't feel comfortable leaving them alone all night so we agreed to come hang out and make sure there weren't any keg parties or other scandalous behavior occurring.

We showed up around 4pm and our niece Madison had made cupcakes to help celebrate Kristian's birthday. We ate cupcakes and watched some college football then took the kids to Red Robin for dinner. Note- if you want a solid form of birth control, go to Red Robin on a Saturday night...you won't want to have kids for years afterwards. I drove us to the restaurant with the 3 kids in the backseat doing the typical brother/sister bickering while Kristian kept turning around telling them to "Knock it off" "Don't hit your sister" etc. I had serious flashes of what my future could look like in about 15 years.

We had a good time at the restaurant with Kristian teaching us all one of the many magic tricks he knows. His magic tricks are a hit with kids and with me since I'm a sucker for some magic and am usually the one saying "do it again, do it again" The kids were pretty well behaved and seemed to enjoy themselves.

After dinner we went back to my SIL's house where we watched a movie with the girls while our nephew played video games in the basement. Everyone was in bed by midnight.

So our first co-babysitting experience was a success, we kept everyone alive, the house didn't burn down and the kids had fun with us. I always love watching Kristian with kids, he's going to make such a great dad one day.  It was actually kind of fun seeing what our lives may be like in the future, living in a nice house with 2 or 3 kids and going out for family dinners together. I realize that it won't be all sunshine and roses but I'm confident that we make a great team and can handle just about anything together.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Glad to hear it went well! Kids are defintiely stressful, but I know it will be totally worth it once we decide to start our family.

Unknown said...

Come to my house for a night and see if you still want kids :) hee hee!

Jillian said...

Sounds like a pretty fun time! I for one can't wait to have kids!!

Mrs. Werginz said...

I am a new follower! I got married a few weeks before you! I am excited to keep reading! I am trying to find if y'all met on match hence the name of your blog! My husband and I did!!

www.werginznewlyweds.blogspot.com

Salt said...

I'm glad it went well and everyone made it out alive. :)
I've had similar experiences taking our nephew to Red Robin on a Saturday night. You are absolutely right about it being a great form of birth control.

bananas. said...

i just got shivers reading this. haha i kid, i kid...kinda.

i can usually handle mature kids...ages 12 and up. but anything younger than that, no can do.

so...when are you guys having kids? haha you know i had to ask.