Monday, April 27, 2009

Bonding with the In-Laws



This weekend Kristian and I were very domestic, we had the cable guy come out and hook up our DVR (THANK GOD) and wireless internet (THANK GOD x2) which are two things we had been living without. Now that I'm staying there all the time these were two things I required in order to keep me happy :). We also went to Lowe's and got some plants so that Kristian could turn our small outdoor living space aka the balcony into a homey, inviting little oasis. We now have two chairs, a table, two hanging plants, a few potted plants and even a tomato plant. He also strung Christmas lights to give us some ambiance at night. Now we will actually use that space and enjoy the nice weather that has finally arrived.

On Sunday we spent the day with his parents. I really like his parents and I'm fortunate that I get along well with my future in-laws. His parents have been married for over 40 years and are still very happy and in love. Kristian is just like his father and I'm just like his mother so I'm hoping this is a good sign that we'll also be together for 40+ years.

His parents have a vacation home in Montross, VA aka the Northern Neck, right on the water of the Potomac. The have a great deck and even a small beach area with a dock. They haven't gotten the boat out yet for the season so instead Kristian and I decided to try out the canoe. Thankfully he's had some practice with this because I had no clue what I was doing. It's actually not as easy as it looks, and even though he was doing most of the work my arms are sore today. After our quick canoe ride we came back and had lunch outside, partaked in a few adult beverages and played some acey ducey. It was a wonderfully relaxing way to spend the day and enjoy the summer like weather. I suspect we'll be making many more weekend trips down there this summer.

No comments: