Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I survived... first day back at work and away from my son since we brought him home from the hospital. As expected leaving him at daycare yesterday sucked hard but I held it together and didn't cry until I hit the car. Thankfully Hunter is too young to get upset when I leave him otherwise I don't know how I would have walked out the door.

I cried all the way to work but once I got there it was easier. My coworkers were all very excited to have me back (and not just because it will now relieve some of their workload). And to be honest it was nice to be back around other adults besides my husband and to be able to leisurely eat my lunch without worrying about my child waking up and needing me.

My coworkers also helped me rearrange my office using my filing cabinet and a partition so that I now have a corner where I can pump during the day without being seen if someone happened to walk in without knocking first and so that people walking by outside can't see me through my window since we're on the first floor. I did almost burst into tears when I got into the car last night and saw that one of the ziplock milk storage bags that was holding 6ozs of liquid gold had leaked and I had lost ALL but half an ounce. I literally cried over spilled milk but as any breastfeeding/pumping mama knows you work hard for that milk. That was a meal and a half for my son that I had lost because I didn't close the bag well. But guess who won't be making that mistake again!

Kristian was able to pick him up at 3pm and according to the ladies there Hunter did great. He was awake most of the day and was happy and well behaved. They gave us his report of all his activity, how much he ate and the number of diapers he went through. He got home and took a 2 hour nap so I guess he was worn out. He also slept pretty well last night so that was nice. Dropping him off this morning was easier though I try to do it quickly so I don't have time to get upset.

Hopefully it will continue to get easier and according to my boss I should be pretty busy in the upcoming months so I may not even have much time to sit around and miss him during the day.


Courtney B said...

Aw, you sound like an amazing mama! Coming home from work to your little family is going to be even more special than before. You'll appreciate the boys in your life like never before :)

beka said...

Good for you! I was wondering how that first day went. Just think, in a few more days, the weekend will be here.

I would love to hear your thoughts on pumping once you get your work/pumping schedule figured out. That's one of the things I really wonder about, because there isn't a room or anything at my office for me to use. Sounds like you found a really good solution!

Heather said...

I'm glad the first day went well and that it's getting easier one day at a time. That's great about your coworkers helping you rearrange your office, too, since so many workplaces really don't put enough thought into providing a comfortable and private space for nursing mothers.

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Yay for a good first day! Minus the spilled milk, that sucks! It definitely gets easier and then you really start to enjoy your adult time at work!

Julia said...

Finally came over to see your blog, after seeing so many comments from you on mine. My goodness, you have had a whirlwind 6 weeks!

congrats on making it through the first day of work. I promise you it DOES get easier once you fall into a routine that doesn't seem so foreign. It's never 'easy' but it will seem a little more normal.

Hunter is adorable, enjoy your evening and weekend cuddles with him!

Marian said...

Oh my goodness!! I can't believe it has been 6 weeks already! I'm sure it was a hard day, but hopefully they'll get a little easier, one by one!

Kristen said...

Yay for one day under your gets easier! That being said I make Josh do the drop off, and when I do, I do the same thing as you, run out before the water works start!

Boo to the loss of liquid gold, nothing is more frustrating!

AP said...

Hey there. I just found your blog from Aly's. I have a 12 week old little boy and head back to work in 2 weeks. I am dreading it and expect to be in tears like you, but am so glad to find someone out here who survived! Stay strong...I think it gets better; if you could tell me the same thing in about two weeks, that would be great!


AmyJean {Relentless Bride / Fry, The Baby} said...

Happy to hear your first day back was good, and i'm sure it'll just get easier with time! So happy Hunter is enjoying his time with new friends!