Monday, November 26, 2012

Hey That's Pin-tastic:Taking a Christmas photo using just an iPhone and a Dollar Store Wreath

I, like most women, absolutely love Pinterest, despite the feelings of inadequency that I get looking at all those homemade crafts and meals and gorgeous houses. Yet I continue to look and pin and every now and then I will even attempt something that I found on there. After I did two little projects this past weekend I decided I would link up for the first time with AP for


 
 I'm sure many of you have seen one or both of the two pictures below floating around Pinterest.
 
 
 
 
 
 Well I tried recreating these photos with my little Christmas baby this weekend and I must say that despite not having a fancy DSLR camera or great photography skills I think my photo turned out pretty good. I've gotten a lot of compliments on both Facebook and Instagram so I guess it turned out okay.
 
Basically all I used was:
A decorated Christmas Tree
Extra Christmas lights
A cute baby wearing a Santa Hat
My iPhone
Instagram
 
I decided to use my iPhone because it's the easiest for me to edit using Instagram and also the easiest for me to upload. I barely ever use my point and shoot and don't even really know how to use all the settings. If I did I'm sure I could have gotten an even better photo but I'm not that patient.
 
After decorating the tree, I stripped Hunter down to his diaper, placed a Santa hat on him and let him play with the lights (Yes I know, not very baby friendly but I was watching him closely and it only took a couple minutes to get some good shots). I also turned off the rest of the lights in the room. Then I uploaded to Instagram and used the Hudson filter and also made the background a bit blurry using the blurry filter (not sure the real name for it). And below is the final look.
 
 
I also played around with the different Bokeh filters on Picfx but didn't like how it looked.  Even though I don't think mine turned out as good as the ones on Pinterest I'm pretty pleased with it. The only problem is I already ordered all my Christmas Cards, otherwise I would have used this photo.
 
Here are a couple other cute shots I got but decided not to use. None of these have been edited.

Chewing on the lights doesn't look very safe. Didn't want CPS called on me.

This one came out a bit blurry.
 

There is too much of a shadow on his face and you can't see the Santa hat as much.
 
Also, I decided to make my own wreath this year. I didn't find this on Pinterest but came up with the idea using items I bought at the Dollar Store. This wreath took me about 10 minutes and cost about $5.
 
Since Hunter was napping and I was in a rush I didn't take any before or during photos. But I just used a wire wreath base and wrapped some sparkly, green garland around it (tucking the ends in to the wire). Then added some bows by twisting the ties that already came on the bows around the garland. No staples or glue. It's not the fanciest thing ever but it was easy, cheap and I like how it looks on our red front door.


11 comments:

Heather said...

Your photo of Hunter came out great! I also take most photos with my iPhone these days, since the quality is good and the pictures are so much easier to upload. The wreath looks awesome, too!

Unknown said...

I am totally obsessed with the dollar store. You're wreath came out great!!

Fiona said...

Wow, those photos you took of Hunter turned out so well!! Can't believe they were just on a phone. I really want to try to do the same with Alidia once we have a tree up! Adorable! :)

Also, great wreath for so cheap!!

Ashley Paige said...

Those photos are adorable! I love the one where he's "chewing" on the lights! Precious!

Laura said...

I love those photos!! super impressed, and would make a great framed gift for the grandparents this holiday season!! So cute!

Brittany said...

Those pictures are sooo cute! You did a great job. And your wreath looks awesome! I made a football one a while ago and it took me forever and cost way more than I had planned so yours wins :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

The second picture is beautiful!

Lacey Bean said...

Those pictures all came out adorable! I may try to copy it with Sadie. :) And cute wreath!

Venassa said...

We just put up our tree last night so I think I might try taking some similar photos of Chloe tonight, if I can find a hat.
The wreath turned out cute. I wish I had more time for Christmas crafts this year.

Unknown said...

Wasp dudes! Awesome stuff keep it up.
Relationship with XR Jax

Unknown said...

Wasp dudes! Awesome stuff keep it up.
Relationship with XR Jax