Monday, April 16, 2012

Adding some color to my life

As I mentioned last week we recently had our living room and bedroom painted. After living in this house for over a year we had had enough all the white walls. The only two rooms that were painted were the dining room (which we painted right away since it's so small) and of course Hunter's room.

We decided to have these two rooms professionally painted for a few reasons:
-Having a 3 month old who insists on constant attention makes it's very hard to even clean let alone paint the house. Props go out to John and Sherry at Young House Love who are able to renovate their entire house with a toddler running around. That ain't happening at our place.

-Both rooms are fairly large, and the bedroom has high ceilings which makes painting more of a bitch to do.

-We wanted it to look really nice since these are two large rooms we spend a lot of time in and frankly neither of us are the best when it comes to painting.

Fortunately Kristian has a friend that is contractor/painter/man of many talents who cut us a great deal. He knocked out each room in a few hours and it was fun to come home after work for two days and see our new rooms.

Now for the colors. In the living room we went with Valspar Del Coronado Amber. I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan of the color. I wanted something lighter. Kristian pushed for something darker so we compromised on this shade. It was hard to pick a color for this room because we needed something that would work with the red of the dining room, so green was out (since it's not Christmas all year round), I thought blue would make the two rooms a bit too patriotic, orange would clash, we were already planning on gray for the bedroom and I thought beige would blend too much with the couches.

On it's own I like it but since the living room is open to the dining room which is a dark red I'm just not a fan of the two colors together. We plan to get some curtains for the smaller window and the sliding door that we are hoping will pull the two colors together better. Kristian LOVES it though. And I think the paint job itself is great, just need the color to grow on me.
Here is the wall that leads into the living room. The print that is hanging on the wall is actually where we got the color inspiration from.

This is looking into the living room from the dining room. You can see the dining room color in the mirror's reflection. We desperately need some curtains now. I also tried to angle the shot so that you don't see all the baby items on the floor. It's like daycare in here.

This is the wall to the rightside and you can see the couch against the wall. I do think the color makes the wall hangings pop more.

This is the wall to the leftside. Please pardon the laundry basket and other crap in the picture. That's basically how my house looks all the time at the moment.

Now for the bedroom, I've been pushing for gray walls since we moved in. I wanted a color that was neutral enough that we could easily switch out the bedding and curtains as often as we wanted and gray goes with most other colors. Right now we have a sage colored duvet but I'm thinking of switching it out for something in blue.

We used Valspar Woodlawn Colonial Gray and I LOOOOVE it!

I think our espresso colored furniture looks great against the new color.

You can see a bit of the current curtains that we have hanging which I no longer really like. I'm on the hunt for something with a bit more color in them since the curtains now blend into the walls a bit.

We also need some art for above the bed. We have an idea of what we want to put there, we just have to do it since it's a bit of a DIY project...thank you Pinterest for the inspiration.

Now we are saving our pennies so that we can have the stairs and upstairs hallway and basement painted. Again we could do it ourselves but since we're able to get a good deal we'd rather just have it done professionally. We have our hands pretty full raising our little human.

8 comments:

Heather said...

It looks great! The bedroom shade is so soothing and relaxing.

Fiona said...

Looks great! Love the colour choices.

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic!

Brittany said...

I like that living room color a lot but I can't really see how it looks next to the dining room color. And grey is always a good choice

KatiePerk said...

Pretty pretty!! Fresh paint always gives me a new perspective. Great Colors!!

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

I love the yellow! Reminds me of the color in my first place!

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Looks awesome, I love the colors!

Marian said...

Love the colors you went with!