Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irish Wedding Blessing

Happy St. Patrick's Day folks.

 I know I have a bit of Irish swimming around in my DNA somewhere (along with a lot of other nationalities...yep I'm a mutt) and of course my first name, Shannon (for those of you that don't know) is Irish. I'm wearing green today and I have a strong suspicion I might get a kiss or two later!

In honor of the holiday I thought I would post an Irish Wedding Blessing. My uncle and aunt actually gave us a really pretty wooden plaque as a wedding gift that has this blessing on it. I would post a picture but unfortunately it's still packed away in a box waiting to be placed in our new home.

Irish Wedding Blessing


May the road rise to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

The rains fall soft upon the fields.

May the light of friendship guide your paths together.

May the laughter of children grace the halls of your home.

May the joy of living for one another trip a smile from your lips,

A twinkle from your eye.

And when eternity beckons,

At the end of a life heaped with love,

May the good Lord embrace you with the arms that have nurtured you the whole length of your joy-filled days.

May the gracious God hold you both in the palm of his hands.

And, today, may the Spirit of Love find a dwelling place in your hearts.

Amen

5 comments:

Jillian said...

This blessing has been put to music beautifully!

I too am wearing green. I love my heels!

Heather said...

I wrote about this same poem today on Weddzilla, which we used for our wedding. I love it!

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

I love this poem, always have! What a great post for today, Happy St. Paddy's Day!

d.a.r. said...

I really really love this :)

Meg said...

What a sweet wedding blessing. I hope you got a few Irish kisses on St. Patty's Day.