Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ceremony Stuff

One of the big things on my to-do list is to go over our vows and what we want said during the ceremony, after all that is the most important part of the day when you really get down to it.

As I've mentioned before Kristian and I feel that we would rather go with the more traditional vows i.e. for better for worse, in sickness and in health etc. etc. rather than write our own. We want to do this for several reasons- 1. We both like the idea of using the same vows that millions of other couples have been using for centuries. It just seems romantic and sweet and a nice tie that binds us to other married couples. 2. Neither of us want the added pressure of coming up with our own "perfect" vows.

However we definitely have very strong personal feelings that we would like to express to each other in a more private way so we talked about perhaps taking some time alone together after the rehearsal to say our own personal vows to each other in private.

In addition to the vows and prayers we will be including two readings during the ceremony.

The first reading will be done by Kristian's Uncle Stanley who he is very close to. We plan to have him read:

"I Love You",
by Roy Croft
I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you, not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you, for the part of me that you bring out. I love you, for putting your hand into my heaped-up heart, and passing over all the foolish, weak things that you can't help dimly seeing there, and for drawing out, into the light, all the beautiful belongings that no one else had looked quite far enough to find. I love you, because you are helping me to make of the lumber of my life, not a tavern, but a temple. Out of the works of my every day, not a reproach, but a song. I love you, because you have done more than any creed could have done to make me good, and more than any fate could have done to make me happy. You have done it without a touch, without a word, without a sign. You have done it by being yourself. Perhaps that is what being a friend means, after all.

The second reading will be done by my friend Spanky aka Ashley. It's actually the same reading I did in her wedding.

"Blessing of the Hands"
These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

I think both of these readings really express our feelings for each other and will help to make the ceremony a bit more personal.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love love love that hands poem!! EEEK!!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

love it!! i really wanted to do our own vows, and the hubs was worried he wouldn't be able to remember a lot...so we exchanged vows i pieced together from several sources, and then we said our own little piece too.

Heather said...

These are beautiful readings! We’re using the Catholic Church’s traditional vows, but are including an Irish poem that is meaningful to us. I’m glad you found a great way to personalize your ceremony!

princessapr said...

We went traditional though we had a few options from which to choose. We chose one that was traditional but not old-fashioned (I was not saying OBEY in my vows though my roommate did).

We had our dads do the readings. Our moms lit the unity candle so we really didn't want our dads to feel like they were nothing but the guys who footed the bill. Plus, my sister sang Ave Maria. So, it was a family affair.

As much fun as a reception is, I actually really enjoy the ceremony. I think it's the most romantic and what it's all about.

Chocolate Lover said...

These are beautiful! I think its a really special personal touch to your ceremony!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

So beautiful...every time I visit your blog I want a redo on my wedding!

bananas. said...

perfect! meaningful and true to you! your wedding will be spectacular!!!

Mrs T said...

Wonderful choices

Beth said...

I love these! I'm getting married soon, too. We'll probably do the traditional vows, too. We're shy about expressing such intimate feelings for each other in front of a lot of people!

Jen said...

I love those two readings... especially the hands one. Really beautiful.

I also like how you are taking the time together to share your vows to each other. I agree that writing your own vows can be an unnecessary stress, and there's a reason that the traditional vows were created and withstood the test of time.

After reading this, I have no doubt your ceremony is going to be beautiful and really exemplary of your love for each other.

Ela said...

Those are beatiful readings! There won't be a dry eye in the crowd!