Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Birth Story- Part 2- Recovery

After we were moved to our post partum room I was still feeling very groggy and drowsy from the anesthesia. We had a nurse come in to go over post partum information and see how I was feeling as well as go over what we would need to do for Hunter since he was staying with us that night, I could barely keep my eyes open or focus on what she was saying. The whole thing is a big haze to me.

I was able to hold Hunter a bit and wanted to breast feed but felt so nauseous and actually threw up a few times thanks to the anesthesia and all the medicine that had been pumped into my body. Let me tell you throwing up after a Csection is one of the worst feelings, your stomach already is in so much pain and throwing up just adds to it. Even the Zofran didn't really help much. Because of this Kristian had to give Hunter his first bottle and change his first diaper all while I just laid there. I felt like the worst mother in the world, not only had I missed my child's birth but now couldn't even help care for him.

It was a rough night and neither of us slept much, I was in so much pain and Kristian had to get Hunter every time he cried. Looking back it would have been smarter to just have him in the nursery but we wanted him close by.

My recovery in general has been slow, when people say that recovering from a Csection is hard they are not joking. For me, I was very nauseous from the medicine for two days and getting out of bed for the first time was one of the most painful experiences. Thanks to the Motrin and Percocet I've been able to function and I'm slowly starting to feel better but it was really rough the first few days doing the smallest things or moving in anyway.

I have to give Kristian so much credit, I honestly couldn't have made it through this recovery the past few days without him. He has helped me with EVERYTHING, even the grossest things like going to the bathroom or helping me change my pads or helping me use the breast pump. He's definitely lived up to the whole "for better or worse, in sickness and in health" part of the wedding vows. I really don't know how women do it when they don't have a such supportive partners.

I also have to give a lot of credit to my doctor and all the nurses that helped me in the hospital. Everyone was really amazing and helped me so much in my recovery. I feel much better now but still have a long way to go until I'm back to normal.

I will write about what's going on with Hunter in Part 3.


Venassa said...

Oh wow that would've been so rough. I can't imagine being sick right after. I'm glad you're at least on the road to recovery now. My c-section was a breeze compared to what you went through, to the point where I plan on requesting one next time.
I was terrified to get out of bed that first time after seeing my sister do it a few years back after her section.

Nicole-Lynn said...

You poor thing.. I am so sorry you were in pain during and recovering, and missed some special moments. I can only imagine how bummed you must feel.

So happy you're home and recovering now. Take it easy and let your husband help you as much as possible.

april said...

Aw, sorry to hear it was so rough. I actually had things pretty smoothly. Other than the anesthesia taking like 5 hours to wear off, I was up the next morning. I was only in the hospital 1 day and went grocery shopping (with no lifting anything) on our way home. After seeing a bunch of other women go through C-sections, I won't take that for granted anymore. Hope you got some good drugs at least! My sister-in-law was drugged up quite a bit after her C-section and loving every minute of it. Her baby was in the NICU for a week after she was released, but she practically lived there to nurse.

melifaif said...

Bless your heart!!!! Ugh...makes me ill thinking about what "we" had to go through. Sucks, but soooo worth it in the end. Prayers for you!